LiveChat Loading...

Australian National Character Check livechat loading
Australian National Character Check livechat loading
Home Resources & Technical Articles Pre-Employment Screening Topics Police Checks Can I use Expired Identification Documents for a police check?

Can I use Expired Identification Documents for a police check?

The information on this webpage is to be read in conjunction with this disclaimer:
Australian National Character Check (ANCC) makes every effort to provide updated and accurate information to its customers. However due to the continuously changing nature of legislations for the Commonwealth and various States and Territories, it is inevitable that some information may not be up to date. The information on the website is general information only. The contents on the website do not constitute legal or professional advice and should not be relied upon as a substitute for legal or professional advice. While we endeavour to keep the information up to date and correct, we make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, suitability, accuracy or availability with respect to the information.

The police check is a standard and generally conducted Check in Australia; at the end of every successful Check, the applicants get a nationally coordinated criminal history check. Some many uses and applications make them even more popular compared to other Background Checks in Australia.

The process for conducting a police check includes filling a form and providing identification documents that will support your police check in addition to any other document or requirement.

What is the I.D. Document used for a police check application?

Your police check application is not complete if you did not provide a means to verify the information or details you provide. The ID documents are a stipulated requirement to assist in identifying the applicant.

Can I include any I.D. Document in the check process?

No, you don’t just pick up any I.D. you have lying in the apartment and throw them in the mix; there are specified types of I.D.s you include. The four I.D. you submit are always given in 3 categories.

Accredited bodies who collect application forms for police checks only request special "classes" of I.D. copies it deems accurate and detailed enough for the checking.

Can I use Expired Identification documents?

Expired identification documents are not a valid legal identification document and hence the ID’s cannot be used to support a Nationally Coordinated Criminal History Check (police check) application.

If you submit expired identification documents, they will be flagged and you will receive a “request for further information” from ANCC’s customer support team.

Furthermore, expired documents are no longer required by anyone; it is of no use even to the holder, except for keeping sake. Before any of your essential documents expire, the best step is to apply for a renewal. In some cases, you are given a temporary I.D. or copy that stands in place of the expired I.D.

What is an Expired Identity Document (I.D.)?

All Identity documents come with a validity period depending on the type or purpose of such document. When the validity period elapses, it is no longer relevant for legal or business use; the details are primarily obsolete or need renewal.

Expiry dates are noted on identity documents.

If such a document has a barcode/PIN/Machine-readable chip, these functions will no longer be available until the holder renews it.

Can I use a temporal I.D. to apply for the police check?

The NPCS decide which document the applicant can produce for the checking process. Typically these I.D.s verify the candidate's identity.

The NPCS may allow an accredited body to accept a temporary I.D. for the check if the I.D. is permitted to be used as a valid form of identification and can be verified from the issuing source.

However, candidates must confirm with their processing source before making the documents available.

Are there exceptions to using an expired I.D.?

In rare cases, an accredited body may accept an Australian passport past its expiry date by not more than two years or similar. The passport will be put through the Attorney General's document verification service (DVS) to check if it is a valid document.

Otherwise, candidates should submit identity documents with valid expiry dates as stipulated.

Why should I submit a recent Identity Document?

Identity documents represent your identification on a paper or electronic form; without them, you cannot prove that you are who you claim to be.

Expired I.D.s are not suitable as a verification document because;

  • It represents an old version of yourself

Some details may have changed about you since you obtained the last I.D.; it is essential to include them in the current Checking.

For example, when a person changes their last name and title from marriage, it will not update their I.D. until they get a recent one. It is the same thing when the person is endowed with another higher title or award.

  • It may cause delays in the identification process

Accredited service providers like Australian National Character Check compare your IDs to the legal name on your application forms. If your expired I.D. tells a different story from the information you filled in, it will mess up the whole process and delay your Background Check application.

  • Fraud chances

If expired identification documents are allowed to be used, there is a chance that a fraudster can imposter someone else's identification. This is because expired IDs are no longer a legal identification document and cannot be verified with official sources.

What ID is required when applying for the police check?

There are only three classes of I.D. you must submit as verification to the information you filled on the Informed Consent form.

They are;

  • ✔ One (1) Commencement of I.D. document,
  • ✔ One (1) Primary Use in Community Documents,
  • ✔ Two (2) Secondary Use in Community Documents.

From assessing all of these documents, it must reveal all of the following information about the person;

  • The name of the person, including their titles and status,
  • The Date of Birth of the applicant,
  • A photograph or recent picture of the applicant.

Your application may be discontinued or abandoned if you cannot verify any of the details above through the I.D.s.

Are there some exceptions or waivers to submitting I.D.s?

  • Change of Name

The applicant may have changed their name even while any of the documents they provide is valid. The event that caused the name change may have occurred within the validity period of the Identity document.

For this case, the applicant must provide documents that support the event and name change.

In the case of Marriage;

  1. A change of name certificate given by the Australian Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages. Church or Celebrant issued certificates are not acceptable.

In the case of Divorce;

  1. Also a change of name certificate given by the Australian Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages.

In the case of a Name change;

The candidate must include a legal document that formally certifies that the person has changed their official name. The only document that is suitable for this purpose is a change of name certificate issued by the Australian Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages (BDM).

All these must be provided in addition to the four documents you have produced above. It is important to note that Church, social groups or celebrant-issued certificates are not recognised as legal identification documents for verification.

Are I.D.s submitted separately from the police check application?

No, the applicant must include the I.D. copies in their application and present them in one piece. ANCC will contact the applicant via email if there are issues with the documents they provide for their Nationally Coordinated Criminal History Check application.

If you are applying online through the ANCC, you may provide scanned copies of the identification documents. Some even submit clear shots from a quality camera on their mobile or a webcam.

If you are applying using the Local Post or the Police office, you should include photocopies of the I.D. documents or any other method that they stipulate.

What are the I.D. copies I will include in my police check application?

Commencement of I.D. document (1)

Every person with some involvement in the Australian community should have at least one commencement document, and that is all you are required to include in the application. You only have to include any one (1) of these documents.

The documents include;

  • Full Australian birth certificate;

It must be issued by the Australian registry of Births and Deaths and Marriages and not from any third party.

  • Current Australian Passport;

The passport should be valid and should not expire during the check process.

  • Australian Visa;

It must be valid and current when entering Australia as a resident, student, or worker. ANCC may run your visa on the Department of Home Affairs VEVO Check service to check the validity of your visa.

  • Immicard;

It should be provided by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.

  • Certificate of identity

This ID can only be issued by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade for refugees and non-Australian citizens to enter Australia.

  • Document of identity;

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade issues these documents to Australian citizens or persons from commonwealth countries for travel purposes.

  • Australian Citizenship Certificate

Primary Use in Community Document (1)

The Primary ID reveals more information about the applicant; they are the more 'advanced' documents issued by credible sources. The applicant only needs to include one (1) of these identity documents like a state or territory government.

  • Current Australian driver’s license

It must be a legally issued permit for driving a vehicle in Australia, including a learner's permit or a provisional license issued by a State or Territory.

The signature or Photograph on the I.D. should be similar to that provided in the forms.

  • Current International Passport;

These passports are issued by countries other than Australia; they must bear a valid entry stamp once they enter Australia.

  • Current Proof of age or Photo identity card;

An Australian government agency issues these in the name of the applicant. It must show the name of the applicant with a signature and Photo.

  • For persons under 18, a current Student ID from an Australian institution with a signature and Photo will do if no other Primary Use in the community document is available.

Secondary Use in the community document

An applicant must provide two (2) of the required Secondary Documents to complete the verification I.D. requirements.

  • Medicare card
  • Enrolment with the Australian Electoral Commission (AEC)
  • Working with children or vulnerable people card issued by an Australian state or territory government unit;
  • Tax File Number issued by the Australian Taxation Office
  • Bank card, credit card (without recording the payment card number/s)
  • Australian secondary or tertiary student photo identity document
  • Certified academic transcript from an Australian university
  • Foreign government issued driver licence. Documents in languages other than English must be accompanied by a NAATI accredited translation
  • Firearms licence
  • Security Guard/Crowd Control photo licence
  • Evidence of right to a government benefit (DVA or Centrelink)
  • Police Force Officer photo identity card
  • Australian Defence Force photo identity card
  • Aviation security identification card
  • Maritime security identification card
  • Credit reference check
  • Trusted referees report

How can I obtain a Nationally Coordinated Criminal History Check?


If you are an individual, you can obtain a Nationally Coordinated Criminal History Check certificate online via Australian National Character Check’s police check application and informed consent form. The results are dispatched via email.

Business and Enterprise Customers

Business and Enterprise customers are able to sign up to ANCC’s business portal where they can order, manage, track and view candidates’ criminal history check results on their business portal. Organisations will undergo a process for approval prior to being granted access to ANCC’s business portal.

ANCC sends an invite to the applicant to complete their Nationally Coordinated Criminal History Check online and handles the application and informed consent form. Contact ANCC’s business and enterprise partnerships team today to enquire about setting up a business portal for your organisation.

Copyright & Disclaimer

The content on this website is communicated to you on behalf of Australian National Character Check™ (ANCC®) pursuant to Part VB of the Copyright Act 1968 (the Act).

The material in this communication may be subject to copyright under the Act. Any further reproduction of this material may be the subject of copyright protection under the Act.

You may include a link on your website pointing to this content for commercial, educational, governmental or personal use.

The contents of this website do not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon as a substitute for legal or professional advice.

Why use ANCC?


Fast online application form

The online application form can be completed in a few minutes online. 70% of results are dispatched in 24 hours. Approximately 30% can take longer than 15 days due to a 'potential match'.


Australian based support team

All of our staff are based in Canberra, ACT. All data is stored securely in Australia. Each application is checked in accordance with Federal Government guidelines. Support staff are available from Monday to Friday 9AM to 5PM.


Top rated national police check provider

ANCC is amongst the highest rated employment background check providers. Refer to ANCC's Google Reviews and Product Reviews.


Guaranteed to be valid Australia wide

A nationally coordinated criminal history check is valid in all States and Territories of Australia.

Need discount police checks? We beat prices!

About ANCC

ANCC® enables individuals and approved legal entities to apply for a nationally coordinated criminal history check, which is commonly referred to as a national police check. The nationally coordinated criminal history check is valid all over Australia and can be used when applying for Employment, Probity, Licencing, or Commonwealth check purposes. Get discount police checks online. We beat prices!


based on 493 Google Reviews


based on 175 Product Reviews

Helped of customers and counting.

Not sure where to start?

Book in a free consultation with us to discuss your organisation's employment background check needs, or to get an overview of the ANCC Business Portal.